DISCLAIMER: Time for a bit of satire. You know it is in your system, this is just for personal reflection. It makes no attack on the quality of SUNY Geneseo as an institution, nor does it wish to (aside from the fact that SUNY Geneseo allows this to continue). But for Geneseo Computer Science Majors, alumni, or people familiar with the general political atmosphere of the department, you may find this stress relieving.
What I learned from My Geneseo Computer Science Experience:
You know you're a Geneseo Computer Science Major when:
- "Stealing credit is easier than actually doing the work."
- "Getting good grades by kissing up is easier than actually learning or programming."
- "Getting a good GPA means leeching off those that know the material and do the work."
- "Good personal character is defined by making yourself look better than those that did the work for you."
- "Working in a team and doing no work is much easier than doing the work yourself."
- "Programming is irrelevant, WE'RE here to study COMPUTER SCIENCE."
- "Being politically correct is much better than being correct."
- "Ambiguity is our motto."
- "As students, we don't know what we want. We take Computer Science at Geneseo to get what we don't need."
- "We're the 'Y'ale in Geneseo."
- "Real world experience can only be used in the real world. Theory can be used everywhere."
- "Everything works in theory: Recursion rules, if I only knew how to do it."
- "We're the 'I' in Teamwork."
Characteristics of a Geneseo Computer Science Major:
- Other majors go to the bar with their professors to drink socially and to relax after a week of hard and honest work. You go to the bar to drink to try and take your mind off of the time you just lost taking CS and can never regain.
- Codewarrior is the programming language of choice.
- You own a computer- you rely on your English Major roommate to fix it.
- You are expected to know everything yet know nothing.
- You aim for "what is expected", rather than what is in actuality.
- Blackboxes and ambiguous answers are the mark of a good education.
- You learn beaurocracy and theory, other Majors learn substance.
- Prime Numbers are considered an "advanced mathematical topic". Knowing about them isn't important.
- Learning about computers is merely the process of analyzing algorithms.
- You are here to learn Computer Science: You are taught Theory and are expected to have an advanced mathematical maturity, yet you are expected to get this on your own.
- Theory is priceless: Practice can be learned from a book on your own time.
- The Computer Science template: You draw a black box and label it "EDUCATION". You go in as input, and come out as a Geneseo Computer Science graduate. Wow- that was simple.
- You know how to spend large quantities of time accomplishing absolutely nothing.
- Your Geneseo CORE requirements are more intellectually and socially fulfilling.
- Implementation is a process for engineers. We need only be concerned with analysis and theory. We can learn the rest easily from books.